Nowadays, no project on the Internet can give 100% return without tracking all the primary and secondary indicators of user behavior. There are many software and tools for this, among which the most popular and accessible is Google Analytics.
The convenience of the Google Analytics tool lies first and foremost in its absolutely free basis. It only takes a few minutes to register and add a site to this tool. The primary component of the tool’s convenience is its intuitive interface, which makes it possible to perform such an important action as setting up Google Analytics and further tracking user actions in just a few clicks for a website owner with minimal programming knowledge.
Google Analytics features
So, what are the main areas that installing Google Analytics on a website can cover:
- Tracking user traffic on the site, both online and since the Google Analytics code was installed on the site;
- Tracking of key traffic indicators: length of time on site, new/old user, abandonment rates (user left the page without interacting with it), how many pages a user visited in 1 session
- Tracking of the traffic sources (organic from search, paid from advertising, social networks, clicks on links from other sites);
- Tracking indicators of the site’s audience. For example, the age of users, their interests and demographics, geography of attendance, technology devices and visiting software and so on;
- Setting up and tracking conversions, that is, the effective actions on the site. And the site owner can set up any conversions that he considers important for their users. For example, buying an item, staying on any page for more than 3 minutes, adding to cart, clicking on a link, filling out a form, making a call, scrolling to a specific part of the page, and much more;
- tracking user behavior. You can see users’ paths, their movements around the site, login and exit pages, and much more.
Of course, I always recommend trusting web analytics set up to professionals who know their stuff. However, in most cases, especially if it is a small project, site owners limit themselves to their own efforts and that is quite enough.
I would just like to emphasize that website analytics and user activity tracking is a Must have! and a definite necessity for every website. Therefore, before launching a project on the Internet, be sure to install Google Analytics or other tools.